Absence and holiday requests


My child is unwell today. What should I do?

All children need to be in school every day to achieve their best. Of course, we understand when a child is too poorly to attend school and in this case we ask you please to  telephone the school office to let them know that your child is unwell, otherwise an unauthorised absence mark will be placed in your child’s attendance records for the sessions they are absent. 


I would like to take my child out of school to go on holiday. What do I need to do?

In the past, headteachers were allowed to to grant up to 10 days leave of absence per year for the purpose of a family holiday during term time in “special circumstances”. Additionally, Headteachers could grant extended leave for more than ten school days in exceptional circumstances. (The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006 ).

However, government have made changes to the 2006 regulations. These changes now make it clear that headteachers may not grant any holidays during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. For this reason, the ten day allowance has been removed and headteachers  should determine the number of school days a child can be away from school if the leave is granted. These changes came into effect on 1st September 2013. Parents can be fined for taking their child on holiday during term time without consent from the school penalty notices. Penalty notices of £60 will be issued to each parent for each child that is absent and should be paid within 21 days. If unpaid after 21 days the penalty notice will double to £120 . ( Education (Penalty Notices) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013.) Instructions on how to pay the penalty notice are contained within the notice itself and funds from these notices are paid directly to the local council.


For more information and guidance please see the links below.

Department for Education guidance

Kent County Council guidance


My holiday is in 'excpetional circumstances' not just a family holiday! Where can I find a form?

Please email the school office detailing your request for an authorised absence.